► Get My BEST-SELLING Book, The Complete Software Developer’s Career Guide For FREE ◄
► Skin In The Game (Book Review) ◄
Today I’m going to talk about Skin In The Game.
Here is the book description, extracted from Amazon:
“In his most provocative and practical book yet, one of the foremost thinkers of our time redefines what it means to understand the world, succeed in a profession, contribute to a fair and just society, detect nonsense, and influence others. Citing examples ranging from Hammurabi to Seneca, Antaeus the Giant to Donald Trump, Nassim Nicholas Taleb shows how the willingness to accept one’s own risks is an essential attribute of heroes, saints, and flourishing people in all walks of life.
As always both accessible and iconoclastic, Taleb challenges long-held beliefs about the values of those who spearhead military interventions, make financial investments, and propagate religious faiths. Among his insights:
• For social justice, focus on symmetry and risk sharing. You cannot make profits and transfer the risks to others, as bankers and large corporations do. You cannot get rich without owning your own risk and paying for your own losses. Forcing skin in the game corrects this asymmetry better than thousands of laws and regulations.
• Ethical rules aren’t universal. You’re part of a group larger than you, but it’s still smaller than humanity in general.
• Minorities, not majorities, run the world. The world is not run by consensus but by stubborn minorities imposing their tastes and ethics on others.
• You can be an intellectual yet still be an idiot. “Educated philistines” have been wrong on everything from Stalinism to Iraq to low-carb diets.
• Beware of complicated solutions (that someone was paid to find). A simple barbell can build muscle better than expensive new machines.
• True religion is commitment, not just faith. How much you believe in something is manifested only by what you’re willing to risk for it.
The phrase “skin in the game” is one we have often heard but rarely stopped to truly dissect. It is the backbone of risk management, but it’s also an astonishingly rich worldview that, as Taleb shows in this book, applies to all aspects of our lives. As Taleb says, “The symmetry of skin in the game is a simple rule that’s necessary for fairness and justice, and the ultimate BS-buster,” and “Never trust anyone who doesn’t have skin in the game. Without it, fools and crooks will benefit, and their mistakes will never come back to haunt them.”
Skin in the Game (Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life): https://simpleprogrammer.com/yt/skininthegame
“Antifragile” Book Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDknF04hSvM
► THE COMPLETE SOFTWARE DEVELOPER’S CAREER GUIDE ◄
Get #1 bestselling book, The Complete Software Developer’s Career Guide https://simpleprogrammer.com/careerguide-yt
► BUY “TRUST THE PROCESS” SHIRT ◄
Buy “Trust The Process” Shirt and remember this powerful concept that can literally transform your life:
► SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER ◄
This is the best way to have the BEST programming career tips delivered to your inbox, simple and easy.
► LINKS YOU MIGHT LIKE ◄
Simple Programmer Website: http://simpleprogrammer.com/
PATREON PAGE: https://www.patreon.com/simpleprogrammer
How To Market Yourself Course: http://simpleprogrammer.com/howtomarketyourself
10 Steps To Learn Anything Quickly Course: http://simpleprogrammer.com/10stepstolearn
Soft Skills Book: http://simpleprogrammer.com/softskills
FREE Blogging Course: http://simpleprogrammer.com/blog-course
Buy Simple Programmer SHIRT: https://store.simpleprogrammer.com/
Coaching Services: https://simpleprogrammer.com/coaching-services/
If you have a question, email me at email@example.com